Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Groupthink" Sometimes it's a good thing

Writing an article about a suggested topic is always difficult for me. Very recently I joined High Calling Blogs. Although they do not require it they request that you place and article on your blog to tell others about it and why you joined.

The mere request causes me to begin questioning why I did join. Not in a bad or self- doubtful way, more as a curiosity. What caused me to want to join the group, particularly because I’m not a group type person.

The first and most obvious reason is that I am always on the lookout for ways to “grow” my blog readership. It didn’t take long for me to realize that being part of a group helps to draw traffic. However, High Calling’s intention is not primarily to generate readership.

I found my way to High Calling after joining Christian Bloggers Online. After a few clicks on their Blog-Roll I was at The Writing on the Wall who displays a HighCallingBlogs.com badge. With such a cool badge I had to check them out.

I didn’t need to spend much time at HighCallingBlogs.com before I realized I could learn a lot from being here. The quality of writing, the differing voices and viewpoints all called that I spend more time there.

Then this morning I began to wonder, isn’t this like preaching to the choir? If the majority of readers are Christian bloggers (writers), how will being a part of this group help me to reach those who need to hear from Christ the most? The answer to that question came faster then the question itself. We, those who blog for Jesus, need this type of a community and fellowship the most. We, those who attempt to pen Things of the Spirit, need to be fed, schooled, encouraged, challenged, exhorted, and sometimes- to have the hot air let out of our starched white shirts.

Click on the cool badge on the right of my page, it will be worth the read.

4 comments:

Red Letter Believers said...

Bill

Welcome to the High Calling Network. We love the idea of aspiring to the 'high call' of our everyday work and welcome your involvement.

David
www.redletterbelievers.blogspot.com

Kaye said...

I agree with depending on other another for support, guidance, ideas, thoughts, and help in general. Also to celebrate with one another. It's like the same reason to be part of an organized church group...not because we HAVE to, but to propigate growth. Welcome!

BigDadGib said...

His calling is as high as you can get. What a wonderful thing to serve Him.

Anonymous said...

Groups. Yeah, I'm more of a free spirit too. But then there's this little itch to share that freedom with other people. :)