Monday, September 15, 2008

Getting started

I believe the Bible is the Inherent Word of God. I believe every word of the Bible is Truth and that those truths are as real, meaningful, and applicable today as they were the day they were penned, told and lived.

I believe God is the Creator of all Heaven and earth and that all that is exists because He made it to be. That He is without beginning and end (he exists outside of time) and that He is always everywhere.

I have been a Born Again Christian since 1977. My life in Christ started like a house of fire. Very shortly after my wife and I became Christians we sold just about everything we owned and moved to Dallas Texas to attend Christ for the Nations Inst. in Dallas Texas.

At that time, just prior to our decision to go the CFNI, I believed God was calling me into the ministry. I was very young in the Lord and I wanted to “know” what I believed and why I believed it. To be honest with you it bothered me that most of Christians I knew only seemed to know, for the most part, what they were taught at Sunday and Wednesday services. Like me at the time, if questioned regarding their faith or the doctrines they professed at true they were unable to scripturally and historically defend their faith.

My lack of knowledge became crystal clear one evening at work when I was testifying to a co-worker. I don’t recall the exact subject of the discussion but I do recall his question, “how do you know that?” The only answer I had to his question was unacceptable, because I had been told, in church or from a fellow Christian, whatever I was espousing as truth. At that moment I knew I had to go and learn how to find the Truth and the answers for myself. Within a week my wife and I had decided to move our young family of four from NJ to Dallas. With no thought of turning back we listed the house and began selling off what we would not need or couldn’t afford to take.

Two and a half years later we returned to NJ with 3.5 children, and a wealth of knowledge and experiences. I also knew then that although there were more then one calls on my life. The first being to raise the family God had so richly blessed me with.

Thirty years have passed since we left NJ with all of our belongings in an old Ford station wagon and a U-Haul trailer bound for Dallas Texas. The kids are grown, some married, some with children. The seeds planted way back then took root and grew slowly. Sometimes the weeds grew faster and the good seeds were almost chocked out, but the roots were strong and patiently waited for the spring.

While at Christ for the Nations and for most of years after returning have had the impression - the feeling - or possibly for lack of a better term, a vision… (It’s very hard to explain), that there is always something ahead of me, just beyond my ability to see. Almost like being in thick fog and there is something ahead. Every now and then the fog shifts just enough that I can see that there is something there. Then the fog closes back in before the form is revealed. Then the fog shifts again and another glimpse. Always there, just beyond my ability to distinguish or understand it.

I became so used to “it” that I almost stopped noticing “it”. Now an old stirring and restlessness has returned. The “it is taking form, the fog is lifting. The time has come to do the work my spirit has been prepared for.

No comments: