Monday, January 12, 2009

Its not what you know, its who you know, Part 1


“Do you know me?” There used to be an American Express commercial that started with that question. Some celebrity would pop onto your TV screen and ask if you knew who they were and hold up their American Express card.

Mel would never have been selected to star in those old Amex commercials, his face is just to well known. It’s safe to say that Mel never needs to pull out his Amex card to get special attention, wherever he goes people would know him.

The truth is I don’t know Mel. As a matter of fact if he came and knocked on my door the polite thing to do would be to address him as Mr. Gibson because we have never been introduced. Odds are you don’t actually know Mel any more then I do. We just think we do because we recognize his face.

So the question isn’t do you recognize Mel or know some things about him, the question is “do you actually know him?”.

Over this past week I interacted with an assortment of people who, if asked, would say they know God. I could be mistaken, they may know Him, it’s not my place to judge or be critical but I expect many of them know God in much the same way people will say they know Mel.

So today I’ll ask you. Do you know God?

2 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Ah, knowing. So many levels. I wonder sometimes where it begins and ends.

(Hey, the pic looks great and not just because it's Mel! :)

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, and I wanted to add that the length of this post is good. Very approachable! :)