Friday, January 16, 2009

Two before one ?



There was a time when a 8086 PC with a 10 Meg. Hard drive, 5” floppy disk and a monochrome display were state of the art. In those days I seemed to know my way around computers. Back then I could sign onto “Prodigy” through my dial up modem, which by the way I had skillfully set to temporarily disable the call waiting feature on my phone. After sitting through a cacophony of the strange noises, that I didn’t understand but knew were good. My PC mystically connected, I could open a book and relax for half an hour or so waiting for the sign on screen to appear.

Back then I was considered somewhat of a wiz, in fact I played a big part of bringing an entire school system on line and constructing the hardware backbone for that system. Technology gained speed and it did so exponentially. I was focused elsewhere and quickly fell behind.

Turn me loose at an AARP meeting and to some I still seem to know a thing or two. Sit me down with those who really know the world of computers and I am just slightly better then computer illiterate.

Relationships are like that. In the beginning we are eager to work on them and continue to learn. For some the interest grows, the learning continues and the relationship deepens. Then there are others who are content with just knowing the basics. They loose interest, stop trying and coast along. The relationship still exists, it just has no depth.

Basically, because I didn’t stay interested and learn all that is needed to master today’s PCs and internet languages. I am now internet/blog “challenged”. You might notice the title below is listed as Part Two. Please scroll down, Part One is posted just below Part Two.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, I remember once upon a time working with a dual floppy drive PC, absolutely top of the line. (No hard drive, remember those days? "Insert Disk 2") I was working for my dad in his accounting firm and he'd just dropped $10 grand for this baby. Nobody else in town had such a thing. A few years later when I bought my first home PC, I recall him drooling over my 10 MB hard drive. Those were the days. To think of how much storage I can now stick in my pocket on a jump drive... And I just aged myself.

Bill Cash said...

Yea I had one of them as well, I just didnt want ot admit I went back that far.

Anonymous said...

Bill, I think you're selling yourself short on this one. You may not be in the thick of the lastest gadgets and digital wizardry, but you have a blog. You create links. You write and comment.

You understand the community part of online communities. And in the end, I think that's what really matters.

(My first computer was an Amiga. I remember writing a 40 line program in Basic for a high school project. Those were the days.)